Content warning: this post contains somewhat graphic examples of horrible things that happen to people. Proceed with caution.
There is a lot of abuse in this world. A lot of people have far more power over others than they ought to, and even necessary power is misused routinely. Even good people with good intentions harm routinely others by misusing their power.
Often, when force is used against people, they’re presumed to have deserved it. Or worse, to have deserved it because they’re a Kind Of Person who inherently needs to be treated that way. And this is bad. It allows abuse to go unchallenged and even to seem noble — in cases where if people would just *look*, they’d understand.
Sometimes people are punished. This is not, in itself, evidence that they did something wrong, or that they are bad, or that they were behaving substantially differently from others. It’s evidence that someone powerful decided to punish them. And that’s all.
Sometimes children are put into segregated programs. This is not evidence that they benefit from segregation, or that they are a kind of person who needs that. It’s evidence that someone powerful decided that kids Like That don’t belong around the real kids. And that’s all.
Sometimes teenagers are sent to harsh programs for bad kids. This is not evidence that they were bad, that they deserved it, that the programs benefited them, or that they are fundamentally different from other kids. It is evidence that someone powerful decided to send them to a program. And that’s all.
Sometimes people are institutionalized. This is not evidence that they are dangerous. It is not evidence that they need to be locked up for their own good. It is not evidence that they are a kind of person who can’t be free. All it’s evidence of is that someone powerful decided they weren’t really real, and needed to be separated from the real people. And that’s all.
Sometimes adults are described as having no mind or having the mind of a little child. This is not evidence that they are incapable of thought or communication, or that they’re a kind of person whose choices don’t matter. It is evidence that someone powerful decided not to listen to them. And that’s all.
Power is evidence of power. And that’s all. And keeping that in mind makes it possible to notice what is actually going on, and to treat people a lot better.
And when you understand that power is not evidence, there’s the horrible part, because you have to notice the abuse and the horrors you used to be able to ignore.
But there’s also the wonderful part. Because you realize that everyone is real, and that nobody needs to be treated as an unperson. And that this horrible brutality and dehumanization is completely unnecessary *and that it can be stopped*.
And if you remember, if you can keep in mind that everyone is real and that power is not evidence — you can become trustworthy. Some people are the targets of pervasive dehumanization efforts, and — if you are able to see this as absolutely unjustified, on a core level, if you can be trusted to see others as real *all the time*, you can prevent these efforts from working.
This is an important skill to acquire. It can save lives (sometimes, including your own).
- sentientblueberry likes this
- nowellahhh likes this
- alphabetsouppredictsyourdoom reblogged this from w-indigo-vertigo
- swarmbody likes this
- withlibertyforsome reblogged this from mushroomsugar
- withlibertyforsome likes this
- lends-itself likes this
- spaceberryfeminist reblogged this from theroguefeminist
- vllmnn likes this
- tothemouthofhellitis likes this
- saviar likes this
- i-cant-think-of-anything-wity likes this
- thorinoakiedokieshield likes this
- rexaleph reblogged this from fadedgeneration
- strawberreli likes this
- nikkiftwtrick likes this
- nikkiftwtrick reblogged this from theroguefeminist
- yungmeduseld likes this
- unhashed likes this
- viewovermerryton likes this
- sovietsiren likes this
- emiliepreciado reblogged this from theroguefeminist
- child-of-the-universe likes this
- tumblunni reblogged this from theroguefeminist
- tumblunni likes this
- dreamfluxx likes this
- seonaeddre likes this
- gaydarjedi reblogged this from theroguefeminist
- freedomnotfound likes this
- cheyennecartwright likes this
- innercitylights likes this
- formlesswonder likes this
- geekpsyche likes this
- alexispointy likes this
- randomactsofchaos likes this
- fatandroid likes this
- thehoneybean likes this
- black-footed likes this
- waitingforrevan likes this
- undertheteacup likes this
- morgran likes this
- kellerprocess likes this
- brydeswhale likes this
- violet-logic likes this
- gayhaku likes this
- littlelostdragon likes this
- infinitybiscuit likes this
- saltwaterbuilding likes this
- amidleafyshade likes this