Content warning: this post contains somewhat graphic examples of horrible things that happen to people. Proceed with caution.
There is a lot of abuse in this world. A lot of people have far more power over others than they ought to, and even necessary power is misused routinely. Even good people with good intentions harm routinely others by misusing their power.
Often, when force is used against people, they’re presumed to have deserved it. Or worse, to have deserved it because they’re a Kind Of Person who inherently needs to be treated that way. And this is bad. It allows abuse to go unchallenged and even to seem noble — in cases where if people would just *look*, they’d understand.
Sometimes people are punished. This is not, in itself, evidence that they did something wrong, or that they are bad, or that they were behaving substantially differently from others. It’s evidence that someone powerful decided to punish them. And that’s all.
Sometimes children are put into segregated programs. This is not evidence that they benefit from segregation, or that they are a kind of person who needs that. It’s evidence that someone powerful decided that kids Like That don’t belong around the real kids. And that’s all.
Sometimes teenagers are sent to harsh programs for bad kids. This is not evidence that they were bad, that they deserved it, that the programs benefited them, or that they are fundamentally different from other kids. It is evidence that someone powerful decided to send them to a program. And that’s all.
Sometimes people are institutionalized. This is not evidence that they are dangerous. It is not evidence that they need to be locked up for their own good. It is not evidence that they are a kind of person who can’t be free. All it’s evidence of is that someone powerful decided they weren’t really real, and needed to be separated from the real people. And that’s all.
Sometimes adults are described as having no mind or having the mind of a little child. This is not evidence that they are incapable of thought or communication, or that they’re a kind of person whose choices don’t matter. It is evidence that someone powerful decided not to listen to them. And that’s all.
Power is evidence of power. And that’s all. And keeping that in mind makes it possible to notice what is actually going on, and to treat people a lot better.
And when you understand that power is not evidence, there’s the horrible part, because you have to notice the abuse and the horrors you used to be able to ignore.
But there’s also the wonderful part. Because you realize that everyone is real, and that nobody needs to be treated as an unperson. And that this horrible brutality and dehumanization is completely unnecessary *and that it can be stopped*.
And if you remember, if you can keep in mind that everyone is real and that power is not evidence — you can become trustworthy. Some people are the targets of pervasive dehumanization efforts, and — if you are able to see this as absolutely unjustified, on a core level, if you can be trusted to see others as real *all the time*, you can prevent these efforts from working.
This is an important skill to acquire. It can save lives (sometimes, including your own).
- porygons reblogged this from beingatoaster
- theninjakitten likes this
- veronicadire reblogged this from eiridescent
- abellandapomegranate likes this
- eiridescent reblogged this from kiriamaya
- unapologeticwhore reblogged this from kiriamaya
- kiriamaya reblogged this from realsocialskills and added:
- acircularjoy reblogged this from realsocialskills
- feathery-dreamer reblogged this from faggot-sodacan and added:
- faggot-sodacan likes this
- faggot-sodacan reblogged this from realsocialskills and added:
- littleshopofhoruss likes this
- kindagamey reblogged this from lagoble and added:
- lagoble reblogged this from moniquill
- antireal likes this
- makialexandria likes this
- theanarchistmuppet likes this
- ma-bster likes this
- jeriorlizorart likes this
- nowavailableinthesky likes this
- little-awkward-turtle-duck likes this
- fragmentedquailsoul reblogged this from tal9000
- magpie86 reblogged this from moniquill
- lovedgoods reblogged this from aragingquiet
- lovedgoods likes this
- timelordtimeshare likes this
- bittersweet-embrace likes this
- rexaleph reblogged this from zeroambit
- scarytinyturtle likes this
- thecometreturns likes this
- zyymurgy reblogged this from azzandra
- gilmourslover likes this
- regina-and-the-dragons reblogged this from azzandra
- herohiddleston likes this
- torukun1 reblogged this from moniquill
- nofrigatelikeabook reblogged this from goldenheartedrose
- pfdiva reblogged this from azzandra
- azzandra reblogged this from moniquill
- unlimitedapathy likes this
- unlimitedapathy reblogged this from fourofthem
- wehavedonetheimpossible reblogged this from moniquill
- toalwaysbeme likes this
- cakeperson reblogged this from girljanitor
- makspetrov likes this
- aminamithri reblogged this from moniquill
- the-many-fandoms-girl reblogged this from bellabracha
- elegiaincondite likes this
- dirtsky likes this
- callmedimoon reblogged this from fourofthem