Sometimes people feel a strong need for a certain kind of sensory input, and then use other people’s bodies to meet that need even over their objections.
It’s not ok to do that. Not for sex, not for comfort, not for any other reason. People’s bodies are their own.
But sensory-seeking isn’t the problem. Failing to respect boundaries is the problem. There are other ways to get sensory input that don’t hurt anyone.
Here are some things that can help.
Squishables. These are giant big round stuffed animals. Hugging them feels like hugging, and hugging them and rocking can be very satisfying.
Fidget toys, like the ones available at Office Playground, can be helpful for some people. Having something satisfying to do with your hands can make things feel a lot better.
Dollar stores and cheap stores and the cheap kid toys rack that a lot of stores have can be a good source for cheap fidget toys, too. (Silly putty works well for some people, for instance).
Listening to music on headphones can make being in spaces bearable. (Sometimes spaces are bearable either by holding onto people, holding objects, or listening to music with headphones. It’s good to have options that don’t require hanging onto others).
Stimming without objects can help too — flapping and rocking, in addition to being expressive body language, can be really useful as ways to regulate oneself and meet sensory needs.
Sensory Squids is a good blog about this for adults. (Because, you know? Most of us don’t outgrow this).
- spacedragons reblogged this from realsocialskills
- neurodivergentbeauty reblogged this from realsocialskills
- jewel-espeon likes this
- fortheunicornchild likes this
- fantasticfidgets likes this
- nureonna likes this
- derring-dont likes this
- tassledown likes this
- bold-sartorial-statement likes this
- lau3 reblogged this from pervocracy
- cthulhu-hungers likes this
- toweroflondon likes this
- canttellmehowtolivemylife likes this
- dangvocataliastuck likes this
- resetslife likes this
- zombiegraycat reblogged this from riningear
- mikalcool likes this
- peroxiding likes this
- riningear reblogged this from realsocialskills and added:
- queeringfarewells reblogged this from some-of-the-patterns
- poetninja likes this
- photodynamic-beats reblogged this from realsocialskills
- cinvhetin likes this
- omgfabulous likes this
- owlcatfish reblogged this from realsocialskills
- thedisreputabledog likes this
- ishouldbeallowedtothink likes this
- quixylvre likes this
- hushmarina likes this
- jasonalanjr reblogged this from squidsqueen
- warpcorps likes this
- blackdogrunning likes this
- asgardfarnsworth likes this
- teenytinychild likes this
- sometimestheyretindogs reblogged this from squidsqueen
- fivedozencats likes this
- moonlight--onthesea reblogged this from realsocialskills
- moonlight--onthesea likes this
- hibernatingsunflower likes this
- iamacollectionofmiscellanyandtea reblogged this from squidsqueen
- iamacollectionofmiscellanyandtea likes this
- squidsqueen reblogged this from fibrodeathmatch and added:
- squidsqueen likes this
- connorblue reblogged this from akalittleone
- akalittleone reblogged this from fibrodeathmatch
- fibrodeathmatch reblogged this from rightbetweenthemoonandmars and added:
- gonnapullthetriggerorwhat likes this