Sometimes people feel a strong need for a certain kind of sensory input, and then use other people’s bodies to meet that need even over their objections.
It’s not ok to do that. Not for sex, not for comfort, not for any other reason. People’s bodies are their own.
But sensory-seeking isn’t the problem. Failing to respect boundaries is the problem. There are other ways to get sensory input that don’t hurt anyone.
Here are some things that can help.
Squishables. These are giant big round stuffed animals. Hugging them feels like hugging, and hugging them and rocking can be very satisfying.
Fidget toys, like the ones available at Office Playground, can be helpful for some people. Having something satisfying to do with your hands can make things feel a lot better.
Dollar stores and cheap stores and the cheap kid toys rack that a lot of stores have can be a good source for cheap fidget toys, too. (Silly putty works well for some people, for instance).
Listening to music on headphones can make being in spaces bearable. (Sometimes spaces are bearable either by holding onto people, holding objects, or listening to music with headphones. It’s good to have options that don’t require hanging onto others).
Stimming without objects can help too — flapping and rocking, in addition to being expressive body language, can be really useful as ways to regulate oneself and meet sensory needs.
Sensory Squids is a good blog about this for adults. (Because, you know? Most of us don’t outgrow this).
- martins-brolly likes this
- canttellmehowtolivemylife likes this
- vocataliastuck likes this
- lucifers-rosy-cheeks likes this
- resetslife likes this
- zombiegraycat reblogged this from riningear
- mikalcool likes this
- daftpoppunk likes this
- riningear reblogged this from realsocialskills and added:
- vraisemblance-of-normalcy reblogged this from josiahd
- poetninja likes this
- photodynamic-beats reblogged this from realsocialskills
- cinvhetin likes this
- omgfabulous likes this
- owlcatfish reblogged this from realsocialskills
- thedisreputabledog likes this
- ishouldbeallowedtothink likes this
- quixylvre likes this
- hushmarina likes this
- jasonalanjr reblogged this from missingagloe
- warpcorps likes this
- blackdogrunning likes this
- not-allistic likes this
- didyousaydontpanic likes this
- teenytinychild likes this
- sometimestheyretindogs reblogged this from missingagloe
- fivedozencats likes this
- letyourboneshow reblogged this from realsocialskills
- letyourboneshow likes this
- fragmentedquailsoul likes this
- josiahd reblogged this from missingagloe
- iamacollectionofmiscellanyandtea reblogged this from missingagloe
- iamacollectionofmiscellanyandtea likes this
- missingagloe reblogged this from quiltingqueer and added:
- missingagloe likes this
- connorblue reblogged this from akalittleone
- akalittleone reblogged this from quiltingqueer
- quiltingqueer reblogged this from sparklesparklelittletwink and added:
- goddamn-greenberg likes this
- to-be-or-221b reblogged this from sparklesparklelittletwink
- sparklesparklelittletwink reblogged this from pervocracy and added:
- wibblywobblygenderywendery likes this
- thesilentriver reblogged this from realsocialskills
- ratzoup likes this
- bessibels reblogged this from realsocialskills
- disabledbyculture likes this
- kyronea likes this
- zombieswithcheese likes this