Criticism is important. Everyone does wrong things, everyone does *seriously* wrong things. Often, other people know when you’re doing that’s bad.
And if you’re able to hear and evaluate criticism, they can tell you. Then you can find out, and know, and fix it before you do more harm.
There’s an attitude that superficially looks like openness to criticism that is actually the exact opposite. Sometimes people freak out about the possibility that they might have done something bad, and then say how bad they are, and need to be comforted. And then the interaction is all about them feeling like they’re not a bad person, and not so much about figuring out why the thing was bad and what to do better.
- Gary and Friend are having a conversation.
- Friend: You’re standing kind of close. Can you back off a bit?
- Gary: Oh no, I can’t believe I did that. That was horrible of me. I’m so sorry. I’m such an awful person.
On the face of it, this looks like Gary is hearing that he violated a boundary, feeling disturbed by his actions, and resolving not to do it again. And maybe that’s part of it. But often, there’s also this subtext:
- Gary feels humiliated by the implication that he did something bad, and he’s scared that maybe this means he is bad
- He feels guilty, and feels an intense need for reassurance that he’s a good person.
- This is more important to him than fixing the problem
- So he overreacts with excessive guilt and apology.
- Then Friend feels obligated to reassure him.
- And Friend learns that Gary overreacts to criticism. So, from now on, Friend is reluctant to tell Gary when he’s doing something wrong, unless it’s *so* wrong that his kind of reaction would be appropriate.
- This makes it hard-to-impossible for Friend and Gary to communicate and solve problems in an ongoing way.
It’s really hard to break out of this dynamic once you’re in it, because realizing that you’re doing this can make you feel intense guilt and desire for reassurance. So it can get circular.
But, getting past doing this makes all kinds of things better. Even just reducing how much you do it makes things better. It’s not all or nothing, and it’s worth working on even if you don’t always succeed.
- kasamatsuseyebrows reblogged this from realsocialskills
- sielunmaisema reblogged this from realsocialskills
- sielunmaisema likes this
- a-poets-corner-of-a-room likes this
- byebyezenbu likes this
- cucumissacris likes this
- landoffrostandblogs reblogged this from realsocialskills
- landoffrostandblogs likes this
- interrobangheart likes this
- inkstainedcoffeeaddict likes this
- missingrache likes this
- saulsgoodman likes this
- ladyofthelog likes this
- sentientcitizen reblogged this from learntocheat
- learntocheat reblogged this from sanssavoirpourquoi
- sanssavoirpourquoi reblogged this from realsocialskills
- technicoloresque reblogged this from realsocialskills
- technicoloresque likes this
- theotterspeaks reblogged this from realsocialskills
- andreashettle likes this
- sick-later likes this
- happyeveningbeerdrinker likes this
- happynowbitch likes this
- splendidsigh likes this
- badmoonraisin reblogged this from bragd
- sweet-baby-blade-foot reblogged this from bragd
- sweet-baby-blade-foot likes this
- bragd reblogged this from forestrabbit
- tassledown likes this
- nthsnowflake reblogged this from realsocialskills
- ascoobysnack likes this
- christiciaml reblogged this from petticoatruler
- perpetualmaelstrom reblogged this from dangercupcakemurdericing
- petticoatruler reblogged this from dangercupcakemurdericing
- thesafaridiscoclub reblogged this from justjasper
- theliveinkook reblogged this from dangercupcakemurdericing
- bisexualpiratequeen reblogged this from jaeger-delta
- jaeger-delta reblogged this from justjasper
- elliewolfe likes this
- mojojojo449 likes this
- justjasper reblogged this from dangercupcakemurdericing
- jaguar135 reblogged this from dangercupcakemurdericing
- life-outside-the-monograms likes this
- cthakitty likes this
- applebutterbomb likes this
- postgenderfemmerobot likes this
- dangercupcakemurdericing reblogged this from eshusplayground
- quantum-angel likes this
- geasseeker likes this